Wednesday, April 21, 2004

I just had the shortest job interview in history. My appointment was at noon. Got back in the car at 12:02. The ad said, "Seeking a highly motivated individual with editorial experience to fill the position of Managing Editor." But what the lady meant was, I'd have to start Monday, work out of her home office around 25 hours a week an hour away in a residential place far out in the Valley, assign, edit, copyedit, traffic, and lay out the entire book (a 50-page tabloid-format newspaper) every week by myself, and she's paying 300 dollars under the table, no benefits, no retirement, and oh yeah, I'd have to sign an 8-12 month contract.

I pretended I didn't really know Quark.

She: Well, thanks for driving all the way out here.

Me: That's okay. See ya.

Or did I just slam the door?

No comments: