Monday, July 19, 2010

Progress report: Today I am at 34 weeks and 1 day and the babies are approaching 5 lbs. apiece while I'm approaching a total weight gain of 40 lbs. Translation: I am extremely uncomfortable but not sure if the trade-off -- premature labor -- would be a better option. I'm sure it's not, but also not sure whether I'd feel any better being post-C-section and unable to sleep because I'll have nursing duties every 2 hours! It's all getting almost a little too real now and now that I'm on disability from work, I have plenty of time to fret about it.

Meanwhile there is a lot of kicking going on and it's getting painful here and there. I just had an ultrasound where you could see the babies have HAIR, and are often wide awake with their eyes open in utero. So strange and miraculous -- but I have to admit, also a little freaky.

I wish there was a little break, maybe say, 48 hours or so, between labor/the birth and the caregiving kickoff so you could catch up on sleep, you know? I am terrified of the chronic sleeplessness that's coming. I suppose the insomnia I'm having now is training...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Shannon - How bizarre. I was thinking about you this weekend and thought I would give your blog another visit - and....Yeah!
Glad to hear things are moving along quite normal :). Best of luck. I know you will be fabulous! It's amazing what the body can handle. I can't wait to hear about all the happy news.
Take Care and Congratulations to both you and Akhil!